Tuesday 22 November 2011

Rereadathon: End Result

Oh, look at that, no extra posts over the weekend and this is going up Tuesday not Monday.  And I only reread two books over the weekend because I was sucked into the world of Lego Harry Potter, trying to find any character who could do dark magic (oh, Bellatrix, that was possibly the first time I've ever been happy to see, thank you for hovering over Hagrid's hut like that). 

Anyway, the books read were...Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and Paper Towns.  So, the first two on my list.  The others on there are, however, still books I very much want to reread (and review) so that will happen soon, I hope.

The Rereadathon was hosted by The Perpeutal Page Turner, who put up some questions over the weekend which I missed owing to time zone differences and lack of internet, but here are my answers now:

Friday/1. What books are you planning on rereading?  Why did you pick those?

I have a list of the books I was planning to reread on my masterpost, and the main reason for picking all of those was: I love them.  And I haven't read some of them for a while (Harry Potter, how have I gone so long without touching those books?).  Those I have reread recently I've skimmed/skipped to my favourite bits - or skipped over bits I find boring.  The plan was to revisit and re-evaluate a lot of my favourites, which didn't really happen.  Still, all those books on that list: I love and recommend.

Saturday/2. How are your general feelings towards rereading? Are you finding yourself remembering [more] things about these books than you thought you would? Are you feeling like you are moving quickly through the books because you've already read them. Are you enjoying them as much as you did the first time you read them?
I reread a lot - it often stops me from reading new books - but, as I say above, I often skip.  I also hadn't read the two books I reread this weekend for a while.  I don't think I got through them faster (I read them both in one sitting originally) and I definitely enjoyed them as much as the first time.  There were things I'd forgotten in both books, which were often things that made me laugh, but I could remember the basic plot which is how it tends to go with me and books: basic plot, few set pieces, none of the jokes.

Sunday/3. Overall, how was your experience rereading? Do you feel like it's something you want to do more or do you feel like you'd rather read new books?

I love rereading, but actually think it's something I should do less: I miss out on trying new books because I'm so happy with my old ones.  It's easier to stick to what I know than experiment - except that when I do experiment I find something I really like.  It also prevents me doing little things like returning books to the library on time rather than renewing and renewing because I haven't got round to reading them yet.  Still, the books I read this weekend were as fantastic as I remembered, and I'm definitely going to reread the other books on that list.

Now I have to get back to reading a book the library wants returned tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...